Home & Garden

Building materials costs in France

Fiona Molnar writes in Home & Garden

Hi alIs it cheaper to buy plasterboard in the UK or FR, are there quality issues too?

Any good stores for contractor supplies like these we can see on the web?

Thank you.

Posted on: 13/05/2012 at 19:11

As far as I can tell by the time you have paid to ship it, with all that weight, it will be way cheaper to buy in France.
As to the quality the board here is BA13 as as most of the stuff in England is made by LaFarge, a French company, quality should be the same.
Best to just check the likes of Brico Cash, Depot, etc for cheapish prices or buy it from a proper builders merchant like Guibout, Reseau Pro, etc.

Posted on: 13/05/2012 at 21:29

2.5m x 1.2m x 12.5 mm thick plasterboards vary from 8 euros to 12 euros & most suppliers want approx 40 euros delivery . i asked my local merchant for his best price on 130 sheets & he knocked his down from 11.50 eur to 11 ! when i said 9 euros delivered i got the shrug LOL so i get them from bricomarche in vire but have to collect 30 at a time , 8euros there but no brand make & not as good as the knauf boards that my merchant was selling ( softer so guess less cement in them ? ) , you get what you pay for even with plasterboards

Posted on: 13/05/2012 at 23:17

Prices here between €8 and €12 a sheet and the cheapest I have found in the Uk is €4 a sheet. Problem is at 10kg a sq mt then only 50 sheets is 1.5 ton so as someone pointed out transport cost is an issue unless you have your own vehicle.

We have regular trips to the Uk for family reasons and always come back with a van full of materials. Unfortunate reality is that "most" building materials in France are much more expensive.

Posted on: 14/05/2012 at 08:43

agree with above , after 4 renovations can list easily the products cheaper in france . tile grout / not adhesive ! plastic waste pipe / soil pipe & fittings
err , thats it please add your own

Posted on: 14/05/2012 at 22:14

I do find it a tad weird that the price differentials are so large especially when the 103 Brico Depot's & 106 Castorama's are British owned by the same (Kingfisher) company that owns B & Q and Screwfix....But I suppose the cost of doing business in France has a lot to do with it.

Posted on: 15/05/2012 at 08:56

Featured Business

Nicholls Renovations

Long established and experienced team covering all aspects of full and part renovations,...
Read more...

Andrew Daniels

Chambre de Metiers registered general builder. Fully insured. All renovation and restoration...
Read more...

Andrew Allen - Architecte

Offering a very personal and client friendly design service. We are always happy to chat with...
Read more...

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Health Insurance Quote

Cover required for:

Quick Quote

Featured Business

Bupa - free quote for your international health insurance

Click on the website link for a free quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family:... Read more...

Nicholls Renovations

Long established and experienced team covering all aspects of full and part renovations,... Read more...